"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Don't Speak Spanish To Me!

Today at Wendy's --- YES I went to the fast food joint and bought food...so sue me ok?...I ordered a number one with cheese.

When they handed it to me they said, " Numero uno con queso."

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Did I order the damn shit food in Spanish? NO! Did any Spanish words come out of my mouth? NO!

It's not racist to not only want but to expect people in a business situation to speak English...to YOU the customer. PERIOD!

I became very good friends with a H.S. exchange student from Mexico way way back. We stayed in touch for many years after school. She came to visit me on a few occassions here in NYC. Walking in the subway she was approached in SPANISH. They didn't ask her they just started speaking Spanish. She was so off put by the experience and told me so.

I feel the same way. It's become fashionable to call someone with my feelings on this matter racist. PISH TOSH! I grew up here. I was born here. My parents and grandparents were born here. My great grandparents were NOT born here. They didn't speak English. No one catered to them. I have books with the most broken English inscribed in them from my great grandfather to my grandfather upon his graduation of H.S. He was so proud of him. He made every damn effort to speak English. WHY? VALUES!

This is all about values and not race or ethnicity. The values of this country and ALL that have come before this latest wave of immigrants, have always valued the culture of THIS country. They came here because they wanted to be a part of our culture that we created that was different and seen as better --not perfect, than where they came from. They were fleeing repressive governments. They realized they were for the most part accepted with open arms and were merely guests in this country. They wanted to honor those that allowed such a thing to happen at all. They knew this concept of letting in those from elsewhere was pretty much unheard of where they came from. They valued what was given to them here.

The recent immigrants have a very different value system. Where it comes from I do not know? Because my friend from Mexico doesn't share it with them and she is a native Spanish speaker and tri-lingual. But there is a strong sense of entitlement and with that comes the feeling that they should be able to speak their language and that I, the native person should have to learn their ways. PISH EFFING TOSH! Enough. ENOUGH OF THIS.

I've dated many hispanic men in my life. I loved one dearly. I wrote about that in my post here.
The notion of racisism is just silliness and a way to scare good people into silence. SCREW THAT SHIT. I can speak SPANISH. In fact the next time someone speaks to me in Espanol while I am at a store, who isn't my intimate friend, I am going to tell them the following, cayate tu boca y diga me in Ingles. Tu eres en los estados unidos ahora.

BITE ME!

8 comments:

EuroYank - Virginia Hoge said...

Mamma Mia! Do you speak Italiano. You got such a nice face kido, but what a mouth. How about a date sometime? You can learn French, and then we can try some other language! So order pasta not that cheap Spanish fast food mumbo jumbo.

A New Yorker said...

EuroYank! YANK THIS! How's that for my mouth. LOL.

I've heard much more "offensive" things out of eurotrash here and abroad. Italian eh? So you still live with your mamma and she wipes your butt. Yeah, like I'm gonna take advise from men like that! NOT.

Jessica said...

I feel like if people are going to live here they need to learn the language. I know that a lot of people say this, but if I was going to live in another county I would definitely learn the language. I might not be fluent, but I would learn as much as I could. Especially if I was working in a position where I was interacting with customers.

Da Old Man said...

I stopped going to one local MickeyD's when the only way to get my coffee was to yell, "Cafe con leche, bitch."
My relatively small town has 4 more, so it's not that big a deal to get my coffee with milk. :)

Da Old Man said...

lauren, Euroyank isn't Italian. He's an ex-American turned apologist.

He's right-- we should be like the Europeans. Just learn to bend over and take it like a Frenchman.
"The Nazis are coming? Let's plant trees so they can march in the shade."
Politeness matters when your country is being over-run, after all.
He's a citizen of the world, so he only owes loyalty to his own sorry ass.

A New Yorker said...

Diana Banana, I suspect you are on to something!

Jess, YEP YEP YEP and YEP, oh and did I say YEP! :-) I concur!

D.O.M., I figured he was an expat but living in Italy...because he is a peter pan baby and that's about the only place men like him can live with their mommas past the age of 25 and have it be normal.

You said "it" very well.

MYM said...

Ola!

lmao....

I have something for you on my blog today :) It's in English.

A New Yorker said...

Drowsey, Our Spanish BS must be similar to the French Canadian issues you guys have. I visited your blog. THANKS!!!!