"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Friday, August 22, 2008

This Yankee Fan Had Fun At The Mets Game Last Night


OK at the risk of Joe AKA Da Old Man telling me I am not a true fan I will start by saying I don't really know that much about baseball and I really hate watching it on tv. It's so boring on the television.
BUT going to a game is another story. It's exciting and fun and I LOVE it. With that said I root for the Yankees over the Mets any day. There's just something about them that I always loved. BUT I am a NY girl and if the Yankees aren't in the game I am going to cheer for the Mets. Subway series ...YANKEES!! YANKEES!!! YANKEES!!!

My friend Jae was generous enough to give me a fantastic ticket that her step dad gave to her for last night's game against Atlanta. Those bumbling idiots made so many errors and the game was pretty darn exciting.



The Mets fans are pretty luke warm cheerers compared to us Yankees fans. Hmmm.



The first thing I noticed was that it's easier to get to the stadium and even walk around the outside of the stadium and find your gate. The fans are less roudy for sure.


It's not a game unless you get to eat a dog. So I made Jae stop and let me buy one before we took our seats. And even before that I asked if we could go to the diamond club and take a photo so that I could razz my father for being able to be there while he was in Florida, where he lives and obviously could not. He LOVES the Mets. He cannot understand how both his kids cheer for the Yankees.



I bought my foot long dog and Jae kept cracking jokes about "havin' a big one" and I could not stop laughing. I also bought a water.


Now if someone could please tell me why they remove the cap from the bottle and don't let you keep the cap I'd really like to know. It seems so incredibly stupid and I hated the idea of having to carry an open bottle of water and worry about spilling it etc...


Jae had 4 seats total and one of her co-workers took two tickets and brought his cousin. We, the old ladies that we are, razzed the heck out of this kid Mark and his cousin Robert all night.



Mark is a babe of 21 with gorgeous eyes and eyelashes I am jealous of and think no man should be able to have over a woman. GIVE EM! Apparently as Jae tells me, at work they call this kid "Crash" I heard a (not so) funny story about him on some piece of equipment running into a lightbulb!


Crash has a Yankee rivalry at work with some guy with a thick Indian accent and this guy is always telling Crash that the Mets are BOOOSHEEET! So we screamed that at him alot.




Robert -- well his escapade that night gives new meaning to telling someone to "get me a beer and dissapear!" We didn't know where he went but he was gone a long time. Then Crash gets a call on his cell. The Mets security threw him out for giving a light to some smokers.

Long story short. Robert gets the pity of another fan with an extra ticket. Finally around the 7th inning gets back in and finds his way to us. We learn that the guard didn't catch him smoking, only giving a light to some hot girls...and what guy could resist that right? The next thing he knows his arm is being grabbed and he is being yelled at and having his ticket taken.


But he made it back in and with a beer in hand. I teased this poor fella who didn't know me at all ...grabbed his beer and took a sip. You should have seen his face. He told me he would have gotten me one if I wanted. HAHA!


Well I don't know what was in me that night. Jae asked what was in the dog I ate. :-) But I was just full of energy and having so much fun and I just got into everything. I was cheering, and dancing and laughing loud and hard.

(YES that IS me you are hearing.)

There was an older couple sitting behind us. And when the game was tied 4/4 and it was getting up there in the innings I heard the wife make comments about her husband bitching to leave early instead of staying. It reminded me of my father wanting to beat the crowds. So I turned to the wife who shared a few funny moments with me earlier on and laughed and said "OH BOY I thought I left my dad in Florida." And she and I giggled at his expense. Husband didn't like this too much. I felt like I was going to get scolded. And he did a little but wife and I kept laughing at him.



So then husband says to me," I have been listening to you laugh all night. "


OOOOPS! I am thinking he is going to be mean to me now.
But instead he says, "I LOVE YOUR LAUGH! Has anyone else ever told you what a great laugh you have. I bet you have heard that a lot."

I turned red. So embarrased. I put my hand over my mouth and shook my head no.


Wife says to me, "Every time you laugh you make my husband laugh. He loves your laugh."


So well it was a fun, eventful and exciting game. The company was great and I could never say thank you enough or properly. But well THANKS Jae and Bernie for the ticket!





OH WE WON!

17 comments:

JWilson said...

I love baseball games only we go to Jacobs Field to watch the Indians play. Go Tribe!!

Since you are a McCain suppoter I will overlook the Yankee's thing. :))

A New Yorker said...

J, thanks for the incredible giggle on the overlooking comment!

Marvin said...

Baseball is fun, even when it's dose bums playin'. It sucks on TV, but it's awesome, live.

leezee52 said...

Hi,
I'm back. Katherine left last night to go back to Brooklyn...it's sad but I'll see her again in December.

What a fun time you had at the ball game. Moe is visiting every ball field. He's a nut about baseball!

Da Old Man said...

All is forgiven. It's ok to root for the Mets as long as it has no impact on the Yankees. And, as you pointed out, Subway Series-- Yankees all the way.

A New Yorker said...

Marvin, Those bums!!! NO BUMS the BOMBERS THE BEST!

Lee, oh BOY did I have fun. I needed that night out so badly!

D.O.M., OK as long as the king has forgiven me I can now breathe a sigh of relief. ;-p Go Yankees.

Sandi said...

I haven't been to a baseball game in forever, but we're going to Chicago at the end of September for a business trip and part of the activities is going to a White Sox game. That was my Dad's favorite team so I'm looking forward to it.

And how eonderful to have someone enjoy your laugh. Laughing is one of the more important things in life.

A New Yorker said...

Sandi, have a great time. I certainly did! Yeah it was kind of neat hearing someone say nice words about me, even if it was about my laugh.

Chat Blanc said...

Sounds like an AWESOME time!!! I love being at games--the people, the environment, the action--what FUN! So glad it was GREAT! :D

MYM said...

boooosheeeet, LOL too funny. Sounds like a LOT of fun!

Wow...they take the smoking thing seriously eh? Glad he got back in and y'all had fun! :)

A New Yorker said...

Ms. Chatty, I WANT TO GO BACK AGAIN! MORE FREE TICKETS...MORE FREE TICKETS!! :-D

Drowsey, The Mets rocked that night and that's NO BOOOOSHEEET! TEEHEE! I think the security guards at Shea are way outta hand. Recently they put some guy in the hospital when there was a Billy Joel concert. No wonder the fans are much less roudy at Shea.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Now THAT was a fun post ... Fantastic!!
Of course, the Twins are king in Hollydale. (If they are pitching well) ha haa !!

A New Yorker said...

Speed, Yeah sometimes I hit a fun one!

Jessica said...

I love this post! Looks like you had fun! :D Baseball rocks...I'm a fan like you...I like the excitement of the games. There is an energy their...with all of the screaming fans. LOL

Been dealing with computer issues for the majority of the weekend. I'll be back tomorrow.

Oh, and check out tonight's post...I linked to you in it. :)

A New Yorker said...

Jess, hope you get your computer working properly soon. I went to your site! And yes I had a fantastic time and wish there were many many more of these ops for me.

Karen said...

Wow it's damn good to hear you sounding so happy and carefree. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

You can't beat LIVE events, the crowd, the atmosphere. That's what I'm like at our footy games and there's one more game to go before the Finals. Can't wait!!

A New Yorker said...

Gypsy, now here's the funny thing: I am often happy and carefree. I also have a serious side too. I am a true mixed bag. Serious doesn't denote unhappy. Some things require dedication and being more serious, but I AM human and I have lots of sides to me.

And BTW anyone wanting to see more of the fun side on this blog can email me to get my mailing address to send me more free tickets to cool events. HAHAHA!