"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Freecycle Rocks

I heard about Freecycle through a colleague of mine last summer. If you have never heard of this service you are really missing a treat. Freecycle is a way for local people to connect to give away items they no longer need but are still in good condition. You can also post for things you need and wait for people to contact you.


Sometimes the things you see are really mundane and personally I think to myself why would anyone want that item. But the person who told me about Freecycle got a brand new washer and dryer this way. She said it was used a couple of times and they gave it away. I don't remember the reason why the poster was giving it away. My colleague's juicy find for sure.


About a month ago I decide to join. I had to give away some large item I don't have room for and wanted it gone fast. And boy did it go fast too!


A couple of days ago I posted a request for a computer chair. The one I had, which is now in the garbage, was 17 years old and a chair I had with a desk I bought for college 17 years ago. I don't even have that desk today and the chair was a cheap plastic piece o crap! One of the wheels kept coming off no matter what I did. I would often come home and sit in it to post a story on the blog and fall right on my ass.


DROWSEY! STOP LAUGHING!


Today I got my new chair. FREE. Its so nice too. I could never afford a leather chair like this one. I know there are nicer ones out there but this is pretty darn comfy and the price was right! Ok the photo is sideways but I haven't put photoshop back on my computer yet...so turn your head to see it properly please. ;-)


8 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

The thing is, I laughed! ha ha ha!

We have freecycle here too. I gave away a computer chair - with arms ;O)

A New Yorker said...

Babs, HAHA back at ya! The old chair didn't have arms either so I figured I would probably not feel comfortable with a chair with arms. Someone did offer one with arms. It was a cheaper looking one with fabric and plastic arms. So I chose this one. LEATHER. Soft and really nice.

Looking for my next juicy find ;-)

leezee52 said...

This service is really cool.
Love the chair!

Karen said...

This is such a great idea and congrats on getting such a steal.

A New Yorker said...

Lee, it's great. You should sign up too.

Gypsy, do you have it down under? And yes a total steal.:-D

Sandi said...

I've never heard of Freecycle - I'll have to check it out.

Da Old Man said...

Nice chair. Though a picture of you falling down from the old one would have made the story even better.
Sorry, I laughed. :)

A New Yorker said...

Sandi, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE MISSING. It's so great. You go and then put your zip code in and it sends you to the local group near you, usually in a yahoo group. Sign up and watch for things you want.

D.O.M., Had a feeling you'd be laughing too. :-p In order to get the photo YOU wanted I'd have to have a partner living with me. So I'll make you a deal, you find me the man of my dreams and I'll provide you a funny photo of me on my ass!