"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Monday, August 25, 2008

It's Kitty Genovese Again!

This time it's Ebony Garcia.

If you don't know about the Kitty Genovese murder let me start by telling you that I live pretty darn close to where that happened in the 1960's.

I don't know about you but I was raised with the principles that we are supposed to learn from our history. But all over the world, all the way down to the local setting, I am witnessing repeats.

The psychology of not calling the police for the Genovese murder was explained to me this way and I suspect it played a huge roll in Garcia's murder this week.

The make-up of the neighborhood was mostly non-native Americans. No I am not talking about indigineous people, I am talking about immigrants vs people who were born here. Why is this important? Well, in most other societies/countries the police are not trusted. The police in those countries are to be feared. They are completely corrupt and often will bring more misery upon you then offering help. If you come from a country like that, you are much less likely to trust the police here in your new country. In other words, old habits die hard. It's ingrained in these folks to not trust.

So while the killer of Genovese followed her, stabbed her, she fled and screamed for a LONG time and got away from the killer. No one called the police. This gave the killer time to catch up to Genovese and finish what he started.

This week in 2008 history has repeated itself. I'm saddened but not surprised. There's too many correlations between both women's neighborhoods. Non-native Americans from countries where the police are not to be trusted. And no one called the police until it was too late.

6 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I don't understand it. Generally you can tell the difference in a startled scream and an "OMG help me I'm dying" scream. I can't imagine ignoring that.
So sad.

Jessica said...

It's sad on both accounts. I also feel for the people that are to scared to trust the police.

A New Yorker said...

D Mom, what more can I say? :-(

Jess, Hmmm not sure I feel for those people. Living here amongst them I have a different POV. Many of them have been here a long time and refuse to melt in the pot along with the rest of us. It irks me. I understand the whys but it still irks me. When in Rome...at some point you have to learn how to be part of this culture and part of that is understanding the legal system and how things work here so these things don't happen over and over. Otherwise why bother coming here. Stay where you came from if you want the same as where you came from. Know what I mean?

leezee52 said...

Even if you don't trust the police isn't there a good Samaritan law where you have to help?

That's awful that no one helped her.

A New Yorker said...

Lee, I don't think we have a law like there here in NYC.

Jessica said...

Lauren,
I see your point, and I feel like that too, in most instances, and even in this one to a certain extent. They should have most definitely called the cops...It just upset me thinking about other countries where the majority of the police force is corrupt.