"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Monday, July 14, 2008

Ferme-la Bouche!

According to this article the French are rated the most obnoxious tourists by a survey conducted through expedia.com.

Many years ago during a power outtage that rendered the trains at a standstill I had the experience of sharing a cab into the city with some French tourists. We got to speaking and I found them rather candid and fun. They told me that everyone hates the Parisians and that they are the most obnoxious people ever. They could totally understand why our perception of the French was so horrible because they felt that way too.

So the French are known for being the least likely to try to speak the native tongue of the country they are visiting and American's are known for trying the hardest.

I've always espoused that the media is biased and messes with our perceptions and is the biggest instigator of America bashing/hating.

We American's aren't perfect and who can or needs to be, but we are the most willing to go out of our way to fit in and be kind that's for sure and it is hugely under-reported.

Well, the Japanese, Germans, British and Canadians were ranked the top-liked tourists. Americans came in 11. Not bad all things considered.

5 comments:

Karen said...

When I worked at Ayers Rock Resort many years ago I came in contact with many different nationalities from all over the world. I have to say I found the Americans I met to be easy going fun people. I always take people as I find them and there will always be good and bad in every race.


It's widely documented in the media that Australians are beer swilling yobs and I'm here to tell you I don't even like beer. I guess we shouldn't believe eveything we read.

Anonymous said...

Most willing to go out of your way and be kind? That is the case with every American I personally know. However, in a city where there is just as much if not more french spoken than english, the french are far from the sore thumb here. It is the 'stereotypical' Mc'Donalds seeking, crass comment filled, hurling on the sidewalks Americans that ruffle the most feathers here.

Perfect time to throw in that I love Americans, and am dating one as we speak. However, for some reason Montreal is cursed with Spring Break and Grand Prix fever, and Americans, by the looks of the sidewalks at 3 am, appear to be highly allergic to it. Maybe its because our beer is stronger, and our strippers sexier and dirtier, but the only tourists that draw my attention and make my blood boil over here seem to be American for some reason. Perhaps, that is why the smart ones travel Europe with Canadian flags on their packs?!

Either way its all about individual, values and behavior that aren't really country specific, as I am sure there are some Canadians in a foreign country really pissing somebody off as we speak!

leezee52 said...

I don't generalise because of some French or Americans bring rude. Not all are like that. All nationalities have good and bad people.

Jessica said...

When I went to Paris...I met some of the nicest people. I try not to fall into stereotyping, but I think it happens to us all.

MYM said...

Aren't most people annoyed by the French? LOL As a Canadian I pretty much have to say that ;)