"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Thursday, June 19, 2008

What We Can't See - Daily OM

What We Can’t See

The Unseen World

Just because we can’t see something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, although this is a common way in which people deny the existence of spirit guides, angels, and other unseen helpers in our lives. However, anyone who has encountered such beings can attest to the fact that they do, indeed, exist, just as our breath exists, keeping us alive, even though we can’t see it. The wind exists, too, but we only know this because we feel it on our skin and hear it moving the leaves on the trees. All around us and within us are things we can’t see, and yet we know they are just as real as the grass beneath our feet.

What we see and don’t see may just be a matter of perspective, like the ladybug who sees the leaf on which she sits, but not the tree the leaf grows on, or the person sitting beneath it. And the person beneath the tree may or may not see the ladybug, depending on where he focuses his attention. Still, all of these things, whether seen or not seen by the person or the ladybug, exist in reality. Some people are more gifted at accessing that which we cannot see, but given an open and willing heart, anyone can tune into the invisible realm and begin to find their way.

Human beings have always done this, and it is only recently that we have fallen into distrusting the existence of what we can’t see. If you have lost touch with the unseen world, all you have to do is resolve to open your heart to its existence, and it will make itself known. Closing your eyes in meditation and visualization, or engaging the unseen through the written word, are just two ways to welcome the invisible back into your life. Whatever you choose to do, cultivating a relationship with that which you can’t see is a time-honored human practice that can greatly enhance your life.


What do you think?

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm not a religious person by any means. In fact I would have to say I am far from it and yet...I firmly believe in angels. My first blog was called Angel without wings.

There have been a couple of moments in my life where I have found myself at a very real crossroads. One of those defining moment type events that could have gone either way. Each time I felt some sort of comfortig presence that made me feel hope again. I don't know what it was for sure but in my mind it was my guardian angel steering me on the right path again.

A New Yorker said...

Gypsy, Not religious either, but very spiritual.

I read that spirituality is about our individual relationship with the divine, g-d, universe and religion is about being a part of a group and following rituals.

I believe in angles, spirits, guides. I have had many a moment where I felt someone pull me back, touch my shoulder, whisper in my ear a word that didn't seem to make sense and then it did. They are always there.

leezee52 said...

I have felt it too and have not said anything to anyone for fear of them thinking I was crazy...ok now I have said It...I feel better now!

Unknown said...

i am, as Lauren knows, very spiritual. and tho i don't go to any organized services, i still think of myself as open to religion... but what i wanted to share was i was discussing energy work recently with my boyfriend who wouldn't even label himself spiritual. yet even he is open to the fact that there is energy in everything, and an organization to that energy that allows for something(s) higher.

i think each of us has to find our own way to describe the existence of that which we cannot explain, cannot see. we may not even know that we have an opinion on this, unless someone/something asks the question.

the most amazing thing, to me, is discovering the common ground in talking about such concepts with people. i have been very fortunate to have conversations about spirituality with friends from all manner of cultures and backgrounds... there is always something on which we can connect.