"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Perception Vs. Reality

Often I believe our perception of "political" situations and the reality do not match. There are many reasons for this. The media is a HUGE factor.

So in an attempt to show some reality today I saw this breaking headline and wanted to share it with you:
Supreme Court sides with Guantanamo detainees again

Now where I live and I am guessing where you live too, there's a lot of Bush bashing and Republican bashing. Especially concerning the handling of the Iraq war. A lot of liberal people in NYC and the surrounding area complain about Guantamamo and cite it as a huge human rights violation etc...

The Supreme Court is pretty packed with conservatives especially after the last two appointments from G.W. Bush. Everyone including my own parents are very worried about the next president's appointments and what a conversative Republican or even moderate one's appointments will mean for our rights here at home.

You'd think with the last two appointments that a ruling such as the one today could not be possible. But there it is. From a very very conservative court, the highest in the land, a ruling in favor of legal rights of the detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

BTW I am a registered Democrat, who leans right and left depending upon the issue...so I equally piss everyone off!

4 comments:

leezee52 said...

You don't piss me off.....I like that you say what's on your mind.

About coming to NYC and fixing up your place I was going to visit Kath(daughter) in Sept. but we are helping with her college loan (you know the poor little girl named Salle Mae) we felt why not give her the money. We fly her out here every Dec...so soon I'll get there.

Take a peak at Kath's web site and see what she's up to.

http://www.katherinescharhon.com/

A New Yorker said...

Nope cause we probably share similar ideas politically. See how many comments I will get on this type of post vs the others. But oh well...I hope my loyal blog friends will at least keep reading even if they disagree when I do write these type of posts. :-)

I checked out your daughter's site. Pretty impressive that she went for it and actually is not only working but getting paid and memorable work! KUDOS!

Candid Carrie said...

I'll still love you, I am a Republican and I lean sometimes, too.

You can count me as loyal and when you seek revenge on that employee that pissed you off I will testify regarding your stellar character and your other wise level temper.

A New Yorker said...

Carrie as always you have me LMAO!