"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Monday, December 3, 2007

Sadder Budweiser

OK OK, first I must give attribution to this post's title to a good friend who wrote to me today. Thanks Anne. Very funny and appropriate and so I am stealing it from you!

Second, I am posting part of an email from a good male friend of mine whom I have known since high school, way way back in the olden days of big 80's hair, who wrote this to me after I broke it off with the man I most recently dated and just before I was about to go on a date with a new guy this past weekend. Thanks Brian!

If only this were understood by the last person I wanted to partner up with...

For all future suitors please remember this when dating me:

"Just remember one thing - trust is NOT the mindset that a person will do no wrong. We are all human, and we all make mistakes. Trust is knowing that someone will eventually screw up, but you expect them to be sincerely sorry for it afterwards and strive to not screw up again, even though they might repeat their mistakes until they've learned to stop.

If things get serious with this new guy, you'll eventually find out his flaws, because we all have them. Don't be surprised when you discover them, and don't be frightened by them either, unless you find they're too much to bare... (pun removed for privacy of other party) Remember to try to put yourself in his shoes - what flaws do you have that you hope he'll accept? You should be willing to accept similar-level flaws on his end."

OK Anne, pass me the Bud now!

2 comments:

Digital Cafe Tour (DCT) said...

Wow, those are very wise words indeed! ;^)

Anonymous said...

Words I will remember and the thought behind them put to good use..