"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

White Guilt Is PC

I rarely agree with John Stossel but this time the man is correct!

"But a black writer, Shelby Steele, argues that whites do blacks no favors wringing their hands about white privilege.

"I grew up in segregation," Mr. Steele told me. "So I really know what racism is. I went to [a] segregated school. I bow to no one in my knowledge of racism, which is one of the reasons why I say white privilege is not a problem."

Mr. Steele claims, "the real problem is black irresponsibility. ... Racism is about 18th on a list of problems that black America faces."

Mr. Stossel ends his column with this "There is black privilege — and white privilege. It's time to stop complaining about past discrimination and to treat people as individuals, not as members of a certain race."

3 comments:

Chat Blanc said...

the source is surprising, but very interesting nonetheless. I wonder if we'll all ever be able to move away from race to see others as individuals.

Lauren said...

Chatty, Would be nice wouldn't it?

Productive Slacker said...

John Stossel wrote a book, which I have read part of but can't remember the name right now. Anyway, he has some really good ideas. And some really crazy ones, as well. ;) I agree with his point here. I get so tired of people playing the race card.