"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Experience With Chat Boards

Well I tried one. I really did and I had fun for the most part at first.

A bloggy friend of mine invited me in and that in itself was exciting. But that feeling wore off pretty darn fast.

If there's one lesson I know I need to learn that I haven't so far is to wait wait wait before jumping in.

This is the ONE place I've made the BIGGEST mistakes in my life and which always get me in hot water.

I'm not sure what it is that makes me keep stepping in doodoo when it comes to this particular thing. Believe it or not I think it's the naivite in me. I know what is in my heart and I jump in thinking I am just participating with the rest. But I forget to wait and watch and see how people behave first before I know if they are safe and stable people.

In the last year of my blogging I've "met" and made some awesome friends. Those of you who come around every day accept me and my hot topics and feelings even if you disagree. That's called respect. You never challenge my right to my views, you accept them. I've gotten used to that.

I always seem to forget how emotional people are and that they aren't run by logic. I don't know why I forget I, just know that I do. I forget that people will lie and stick together even when they are completely aware that this is happening just because they do not like someone else or their views.

I'm not even going to claim I don't get emotional sometimes too. Hell I am human.

But one thing I am not is stupid. I know when people are full of shit. I know when people are lying to my face. And those that know me understand why and how I know this.

I'm not into being anyone's punching bag. Why spend time with people that are so caught up in anger and negativity within and amongst themselves and have tried to drag me into their history and make me a target.

I've learned to stay with the positive people.

You can always find those who will find fault with you. That will never ever stop happening for as long as you are alive. The key is to find those that love you and respect you for all your views and feelings and surround yourself with their love.

Here at my blog I've found some of the most amazing people and you've really given me a gift I bet you never realized you gave me. Thank you all for that. I look forward to another fun and amazing year writing here and reading your comments and all your blogs and thoughts too.

10 comments:

Akshaya Kamalnath said...

Thats the spirit Lauren...ppl come in all types, its up to us to choose wisely. But I get what you say...I'm one of those who just jumps in too. But four years in law school made me realise to wait and judge only later and I guess that applies to the rest of the world too. Hope yu continue meeting great people.

Timeshare Jake said...

It's good you can see that. By the way, have you seen What the Bleep Do We Know? If not, rent it.

Anonymous said...

You are dead right. Some people will like us in life and some people won't. Quite often when we decide we don't like someone we can't actually even say why.

Surround yourself with those that love you warts and all (we all have them). Life's too short to do anything else.

Swirl Girl said...

Reading this reminds me of an old drinking toast I learned in the days of yore...

Here's to you and here's to me. Friends for life we'll always be. But if by chance we disagree - then "eff" yourself and here's to me!

I may not always agree with some of your posts, but I respect your right to have an opinion - and if I don't agree , I just move on.

:)

Ronda's Rants said...

I am sorry it sucked...shake it off and keep moving! You are right...people should respect your right to your views and they should always be respectful even if they disagree with you.
I know I am a work-in-progress...so I am always trying do better! Hope you are having a great 2009!

Da Old Man said...

One thing with boards is they tend to get too emotional, as you stated. With a blog post or email, one generally has time to think and word a response. On boards, it seems to not always happen that way. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

A New Yorker said...

@askshaya - thanks for finding my blog! Here's hoping you and I do better with this stuff this year! Good luck with the lawyering:)

@ladybanana in my humble opinion you ain't missing nuttin.

@clay no I haven't. What is that about?

@RA DITTO!

@swirl girl :D

@rhonda shaken not stirred. LOVING THE BOOK!


@DOM :(

swilek said...

Lauren you have to go on and link to Aphra's blog from my blog and see what she wrote about you and I and the comment you made on my blog "For Shame"..it is good! Oh, it is on her blog Stuffing not Rogers Neighbourhood!I don't know how to link on here!Also got the video but haven't watched it yet..i just got in from a hockey game with my dad...looking forward to it..thanks!

Babs (Beetle) said...

I never chat online other than tweeting.
I used to read and comment on a couple of blogs, who were rather judgmental in their comment responses. I quickly stopped reading those. One important lesson I learned, very early on in life, was not to judge and condemn, and to always respect others opinions!

LL Cool Joe said...

It's great to read a post on someones blog that you totally agree with. :)

In the last year I had to cut some people out of my life because they were making me feel bad. I avoid any chat rooms, facebook, myspace etc. and often I'll go to a blog and something about it just doesn't feel right, but yours does. :)