"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Monday, January 26, 2009

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow

OMG! I had beautiful hair on Tuesday morning and a disaster in the afternoon.

I went to my colorist with the following instructions: "I want brown hair. Chocolate brown. BROWN. I do not want black or even close to it."

She insisted that I keep the damn dye on my head 45 minutes after she finished applying. When she rinsed I thought I was going to strangle her.

I looked like some freak goth kid. HOLY CRAP!

She tried to back peddle stating some lie that she said she had to go black because of my highlights and I cut her off!

I pulled the ends of my long NOW BLACK hair over to the swatch she showed me she was mixing and screamed, "Does this look like that color to you!?"

Quickly she made me do another full head of two blonde colors mixed together to lighted the BLACK on my head.

By the time I was done I was still black, just slightly less offensively black and my scalped was fried.

I'm itching to this damn day.

I calmed myself down and said I needed some time in my own home to think about this and call her back.

And I did just that. And told her she had to fix the color.

She charged me a lot of money for this damn mistake!

I did some research and the good news is that I found a product called Color Oops that gently removes the color from your bad hair dye job. It cost me another $20 and I got it at the drug store on my own.

I brought it to the salon on Wednesday night and we did two swatch tests as part of my hair had highlights and the other did not before this mess. It seemed ok. And we proceded with the full application.

I insisted that it not stay on for more than 15 minutes from the time she started the application.

I couldn't believe she started to argue with me that it should be 15 minutes from the time she was done with my full head. NO WAY! I just cut her off.

At 15 minutes we did the rinse and wash and another rinse for 15 minutes as instructed and another wash. Then I did a deep conditioning for 20 minutes with a cap.

When done the color was a nice warm brown...close to what I originally asked for.

Crisis averted.

Shitty hair color gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

tiffany1377 said...

You can't post a post like this and NOT have pictures!! What is wrong with you? :)

Coffee Slut said...

Thank goodness for Color Oops!
I've been every color under the sun ...and once going from blonde to light brown I turned a lovely shade of GREEN! It was quickly corrected by using a warm red tone ...I've been a shade of auburn ever since. Of course, I do it myself ...that way I only have ME to blame!

swilek said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe the crazy experiences you have:) Will you show us a picture?

Babs (Beetle) said...

Are you telling us that you had to pay? Didn't you demand your money back? I can't believe it! How dare they charge for hair that's gone wrong due to their mistake!

A New Yorker said...

Youse guys are too funny. There are ZERO pix of my hair looking like that. I will post some recent photos from my trip to Florida this weekend...soon and you'll see my new hair. :)

leezee52 said...

Hi Kiddo,
I'm back. Oops about the hair color...as you know I decided to just go grey and I love it! No more dye for me.

We are just about done furnishing our condo in scottsdale so I am able to blog now from time to time.

I'll try to catch up on your posts.

Lee :)

Da Old Man said...

Worthless post without pictures.

JK North said...

I can so relate to this!
Two weeks ago I went in for highlights and ended up with orange hair.

Mind you I told her before she started that I wanted neutral highlights! So two hours later I went out looking the same as when I first went in :)

A New Yorker said...

@DOM-NEVER! LOL. I wouldn't let anyone take a photo...but you'll see what I look like now in a couple of days.

@Kasey or Karen, Thanks for popping by. I'm going to check out your blogs soon! Glad your hair is NOT orange. Maybe you can post some of those for DOM ;)

Anonymous said...

There are two people a girl must be able to have absolute trust in...Her Gyneacologist and her hairdresser. Luckily I have both but if either one of them ever stop practising I will probably go into deep mourning.

I'm so glad it all worked out in the end and you should have been given a full refund especially when you had to pay additional money to get it fixed.

Aleta said...

Can't wait to see your new hair color! I'm so sorry you went through that. Reminded me of the day I became a Zebra. That lasted for all of 3 hours. I went to the hair salon and the stylist convinced me to get blond highlights. Only, the "highlights" were in chunks of streaks. I swear, I looked like a zebra. She said it was great and to show my family. I went home, looked in the mirror and thought, "This is NOT me." I went back the same day and she put be back to brunette! (And no, none of my family or friends saw the zebra stripes.)

Share pictures soon!