"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Freecycle Is Awesome

Five Bottles Of Beer On The Wall...

A while back I joined this really cool online community called Freecycle. If you've never heard of them here's how it works:

You go to freecycle.com and follow the instructions to type in your zip code. It will take you to your local group which usually uses a yahoo group format. Voila! You're in.

Freecycle is a community built on the idea of giving your stuff away. You have a nice chair you no longer need or want? Just list it and someone who does need it will say they want it. You arrange to be there for them to pick it up and it's taken off your hands.

I got my leather computer desk chair I am sitting on at this very moment, through Freecycle.

I read the daily digest of offers and wants each day because I often get a giggle out of the things people will list.

Today I saw this one:
offer: 5 bottles of beer
Posted by:
Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:41 pm (PST)
2 bottles Long Trail Blackberry Wheat3 bottles Blue Point Blueberry Ale


Seriously folks! Beer. 5 bottles.

8 comments:

Mum-me said...

Freecycle is great! I've given away all our baby stuff on freecycle, and it's nice to know the people will collect it and it will get used again. And we've been given some very useful stuff too. Recycling is not only a good way to save money, but to save the planet too as all those items are kept out of landfill rubbish tips.

Jessica said...

Dude--I LOVE freecycle! I joined after you mentioned it before! A guy that owns a local comedy club is a member here. He always gives away free tickets! Awesome!

Karen said...

We also have that here and it's one of those things I've been meaning to look into. One of my old Avon customers told me about it and she got some great stuff.

Babs-beetle said...

My sisters use Freecycle. I used to but stopped a while back. I may join again when the need arises :O)

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Do they have chicken ???

Da Old Man said...

It's a really good idea. We used to have a radio station that did something similar. I got rid of some old appliances that were still ok, but not really able to be sold.
I need to look into this more.

Ronda's Rants said...

I love freecycle too!
We have two cases of beer in our pantry...My Hubby and I really don't drink beer much...some wine but not really beer! I have it left over from the engagement party...I keep telling the kids (okay, my grown-up kids!) to take it home with them but they haven't Maybe ...freecycle :)

A New Yorker said...

@mum-me- I'm all about the mooch factor...just ask my coworkers ;)

@Jessica- that goes so well with BEER! LOL

@ladybanana - You're very welcome. :)

@gypsy - oh way cool stuff. In lean times like many are experiencing this can sometimes really be a life saver. I've seen air conditioners and things of that nature be given away!

@beetle - you totall should. There is a lot of good stuff to get when you need it. As well as to give when you have to get rid of in perfect condition items.

@speedcat - I suppose if they have beer someone has chicken. HA!

@D.O.M. - I need an air conditioner and dishwasher...still have any for me :)


@Rhonda- LMAO...hahahha! You should give them away. :D