"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Must Be In a Bad Acid Trip Somewhere in the Looking Glass

The world has gone mad. I never thought as a little girl growing up in the 1970's-80's that I'd live in a sick mad world where all that I was taught and all that my generation seemed to stand for would be so easily turned on their head. I'm mortified.


A blogger on twitter @lisagraas has written about and pointed me to this very sick writer Jeffrey Goldberg here. Goldberg publicly writes that we should not support Israel and the people who have lost everything including 41 human lives in the deadliest forest fire Israel has ever seen, because Israel's government should have been better prepared and that Israel is rich.


Now I'm going to take his article verbatim and post it below and change a few words for you and let's see if it's still acceptable to publish. Ready?


"Inevitably, the United Way, which, among other things, has been generating and uniting community resources to impact people's lives by addressing critical health and human service needs, is asking for donations from Americans for its "Katrina campaign," in response to the massive hurricane and flood in New Orleans. But I'm not giving. 

The United States per capita GDP is nearly $46,436. Louisian's GDP per capita is 35,507. The United States is a rich country and Louisiana is a rich state. The fact that it doesn't possess adequate hurricane equipment is its own fault. The fact that the leadership of its FEMA is incompetent is its own fault.  At some point, the bleeding heart Americans who still think of Katrina survivors as a charity case are going to have to tell their cousins to learn to fully-fund basic services like  if they want to be thought of as citizens of an advanced country.

There are a great many good causes in New Orleans that deserve help, and a great many causes here in America that deserve our help. It seems to me, however, that New Orleans  officials should be funded by New Orleans government, not by the people of Boca Raton, Potomac and the Upper West Side. 

My sympathy is with the people who lost their lives, their families, and those still in danger. It is not with a government that appears to be negligent. And I'm not going to contribute funds that might serve to paper-over the government's inadequacies."


Angry yet? 
Go ahead Mr. Goldberg come attack the little old single girl blogger that I am. Come at me with your relativism argument. I dare you!

No comments: