"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Vetted By A 23 Year Old

About 2 months ago I was vetted to find out if I was of the correct political leanings by a 23 year old. How? Well first try to hear the tone, because it wasn't just a simple question.

"Do you like Ayn Rand?"

Imagine the eyes on this young - brainwashed - woman as she said this to me? Think of one of the worst things you've ever done to another person and they found out and they confront you and they give you those horrified and hurt eyes. That's the face I got.

I've read some quotes here and there and heard some on the radio here and there by Ayn Rand and that's as far as it's gone for me so far. But what I've heard made perfect sense to me.

I'm a little upset with myself because I made a special trip to the book store recently and there was her book, which I had never seen before and was never told about before, and yes I went to college and yes I took (stupid) feminism classes and while I was rammed with Frieda Kharlo I never heard - not once - the name Ayn Rand. Well, I didn't buy the book. But I can tell you I'm going back soon and buying it!

But this little tyke of a 23 year old not only heard her name but obviously was taught to despise her. This is scary to me.

How can a true feminist despise Ayn Rand? She was a fiction writer and philosopher. She explored thoughts. She was a Russian immigrant from the turn of the century, Jewish, spoke very little English when she arrived and taught herself not only to speak fluently but to write and express her thoughts fluently in English in the early 1900's and wrote books that made people think.

Ah, but thinking, bad! Indoctrination of other peoples thoughts - GOOD!

This is a sick and pathetic generation we have coming behind us. And they have numbers.

"... in response to a fan who wrote her offering cult-like allegiance, Rand wrote the following:

My philosophy advocates reason, not faith; it requires men to think -- to accept nothing without a full, rational, firsthand understanding and conviction -- to claim nothing without factual evidence and logical proof. A blind follower is precisely what my philosophy condemns and what I reject. Objectivism is not a mystic cult."

Sadly I conclude that most colleges today and their students are nothing more than cults that demand blind followers who do not question and only repeat the indoctrinated lies.

Rand repeatedly stressed the importance of individualism and independent thinking. Hmmm sound like someone you know?

3 comments:

Books with Heroes said...

The understanding of the 'how can a....' you refer to came for me when I realized that those whose view of life you describe, giving the 23 year old as an example, is actually expressing a hatred of life itself.

c1992w

A New Yorker said...

@c1992w - OK I have to admit...I'm unsure if your for my points or against, by your comment.

Books with Heroes said...

The 23 year old you originally referred to hates life itself, including her own (the same is true for anyone who refuses to evaluate ideas in favor of following herd mentality).

Good observation on your part.

c1992w