"The problem here is a totalitarian uniformity, a cult-like mentality such that even allies are enemies if they fail to follow the Exact Party Line. " - Phyllis Chesler

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NYC proposes mandatory saving for homeless with jobs

Hat Tip @quirky1too


Enabler of the week: Patrick Markee of the Coalition for the Homeless


"It is so condescending and insulting to homeless families to hear this line from city officials … that the need is to change their behavior," says Patrick Markee of the Coalition for the Homeless. High housing costs and the recession are to blame, not poor budgeting, he says. "It's a math problem. It's not a behavior problem."


Mr. Markee, just wondering if there's even possibly a remote chance that you could have an ulterior motive for keeping people in poverty. Ya know, like perhaps to keep yourself in a job!?


Even in LA they believe in the requirement of savings as a stipulation of your being housed in CA:


In Los Angeles, where nearly 43,000 people are homeless, savings requirements are fairly common, says Michael Arnold of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority.


The cost of rent in NYC is very expensive and super hard to come by. But there comes a point where you have to take responsibility for yourself.  I've had my own housing issues lately. Those of you that know me off the blog know about this. The issues were beyond my control and my budget was not ready for a move. Did I cry foul and make the state take care of me? No, I did not. I found a living situation I could afford and moved forward. Did I have to give up space and privacy? Yes. Did I have to give up belongings? Yes. Did I do it? Yes.


You must be willing to make hard choices, uncomfortable choices at times, in order to learn, grow and better your life. The paradox is that simple.

No comments: